Using FamilySearch with MagiKey Family Tree
Step 1: Obtain a FamilySearch Sign In Name and Password
- If you have not yet registered to use New FamilySearch, go to http://new.familysearch.org and click on Register for the new FamilySearch.Enter your Membership record number and Confirmation date to create an account. Remember this Username and Password.
- You will need it to log into FamilySearch from within Family Tree.
Step 2: Open a GEDCOM file with MagiKey Family Tree
- If you do not have a file containing information about your ancestors, from the File menu select New to create a new file. You will be automatically prompted to enter information for the first individual in your file. Creating a new file inside MagiKey Family Tree will always create a GEDCOM file.
- If you have already entered your information into Magikey Family Tree, Open the file with your information.
- If you have entered your information into another genealogy program you will need to export your information in GEDCOM format, then Open that GEDCOM file.
Step 3: Open Individual Information.
- Double-click on any name in the pedigree to open the Individual Editor, or click on the name of an Individual whose appears on your Pedigree to select them and then press
- MagiKey Family Tree can help you find individuals with incomplete LDS Ordinances. You can either use the FamilySearch button in the Individual Editor to check one at a time, or use the Ordianance Reservation Wizard (FamilySearch menu) to check in families or batches.
Step 4: Use FamilySearch to find a matching individual-and sync your information with FamilySearch.
- Click the FamilySearch button on the top right side of the screen. You will be prompted for your FamilySearch Username and Password. If you can't remember your username or password go to http://new.familysearch.org and click on Forgot?
- Select a name from the list on the top right side of the Best Match window. Use the information on the left and right half of your window to help determine if the information found at FamilySearch matches the individual you are searching for.
- Continue checking each name in the list until you find a match then click the Select button. If you reach the end of the list and find no matches, click the Cancel button.